It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men. — Frederick Douglass (via thatkindofwoman)
(Source: dglsplsblg, via infinitelyawkwords)
How public transportation can reduce congestion
i really wanted to write something eloquent here but i’ll settle for “fuck cars”
#also if all those people are in one vehicle they won’t crash into each other
[F]or the first several years the SAT was offered, males scored higher than females on the Math section but females achieved higher scores on the Verbal section. ETS policy-makers determined that the Verbal test needed to be “balanced” more in favor of males, and added questions pertaining to politics, business and sports to the Verbal portion. Since that time, males have outscored females on both the Math and Verbal sections. Dwyer notes that no similar effort has been made to “balance” the Math section, and concludes that, “It could be done, but it has not been, and I believe that probably an unconscious form of sexism underlies this pattern. When females show the superior performance, ‘balancing’ is required; when males show the superior performance, no adjustments are necessary.” —
“Gender Bias in College Admissions Tests”, FairTest.org
And then people urge me everything is fine, of course it is, when you’re ignoring statistics that is.
Fun fact: SAT tests predict college performance pretty well for men, but they strongly underpredict college performance for women. http://spp.sagepub.com/content/early/2012/12/20/1948550612469038.abstract
I think I’ve reblogged this before, but that study needs to be shared.
(Source: aaabbbbbbiiieee, via fuckingrapeculture)
(Source: amajor7, via catgasm)
Certain plants can purify the air taking out toxins or bad or stale air, these are some wonderful plants to keep around the home.
1. Bamboo Palm: It removes formaldahyde and is also said to act as a natural humidifier.
2. Snake Plant: It absorb nitrogen oxides and formaldahyde.
3. Areca Palm: One of the best air purifying plants for general air cleanliness.
4. Spider Plant: Great indoor plant for removing carbon monoxide and other toxins or impurities. Spider plants are one of three plants NASA deems best at removing formaldahyde from the air.
5. Peace Lily: Peace lilies could be called the “clean-all.” They’re often placed in bathrooms or laundry rooms because they’re known for removing mold spores. Also know to remove formaldahyde and trichloroethylene.
6. Gerbera Daisy: Not only do these gorgeous flowers remove benzene from the air, they’re known to improve sleep by absorbing carbon dioxide and giving off more oxygen over night.
(Source: thelatestkate, via case-monster)